16 February 2008

Chili Bowl

Well my friends, today was my first race since my hip decided to get involved in my running, and not in a good way. I was advised by my doc that I could run as long as I wasn't out to break any records and I stopped at the FIRST sign of discomfort. Hayley, my PT, however had a different opinion. I'm sure when I see her on Tuesday she will voice it again! ;)

Anyhow, I was running late this morning after not sleeping so well last night. Thankfully, Charlie is super chill and didn't mind my tardiness. Then I proceeded to drive around to figure out where to park. lol. It was nice because there were so many CTCers there today. So we all chatted a bit while stretching. It seemed that the overall feel today was that no one was particularly excited or well rested or felt very good. So we all kind of commiserated about our unhappiness. :)

I started off feeling great! It felt awesome to be outside and running. I haven't done any running since I-day, two weeks is a long time!!! I loved running through Ohio City. The course was well supported with cops so I would cheerfully say hello to each one. I was doing ok until about a mile and a half in. I wasn't shooting for any great numbers. I told Charlie and Monica not to even look for me till 45 minutes after the start.

So I'm running along and taking frequent walk breaks and I felt good. Maybe even a little better than good. Then my hip started to feel twingy, I thought it might be fatigue. So I walked for a solid 10 minutes. Now you see why I was able to converse with all the cops! ;) I did ALOT of walking today. By the time I got to mile 2 running was uncomfortable so I walked the rest of the way. Well I 'jogged' through a few intersections so the traffic wouldn't have to wait as long for my short legs to get out of their way. ;)

I was almost to the top of the hill on the bridge and looked at my watch, it said 36 minutes. Then I saw Beth running towards me yelling my name. :) So she walked back with me and kept me company. I'm not sure what my final time was because they only have the AG top threes up right now. (Gosh Hermes, get with it!!!) But I know it was somewhere around 48 minutes. I know forever! But it was good to get back out there and I'm just glad that I did it. It was a gorgeous morning!!!

A big congrats to all of the CTCers; we had several people finish in the top 3 of his/her respective AG.

When I got home I did some housework and then I laid down with a heating pad. It helped a little but I still feel pretty stiff. I'm sure after a couple of days things will be better though.

I wanted to leave you guys with this fwd I got the other day from my cousin Kristin. It made me laugh so hopefully you haven't seen it before!

Photobucket

Well ladies and gents, I'm off to make myself pretty for the party tonight! Have a great weekend everyone!!!

6 comments:

Charlie said...

I don't like paper cuts.

This morning was fun.
Thanks for everything.
Rest that hip.

B Bop said...

Sounds like a nice morning. Although the hip was bothering you, progress has been made since the trail run, no? RICE is our friend (and I'm not talking about stir-fry).

Charlie is right, paper cuts suck....but rocks are not susceptible to paper cuts. I suppose water can take out a rock (in due time) so it could replace paper. Instead of a hand signal, you just spit on your competitor's hand if you are using water.

Mnowac said...

Nice job today, you got out there and did it and you listened to your body! You are doing great.

Jen said...

Oh, my gosh, that's too funny.

Congrats on finding a good balance in your race - you finished, but you also listened to your body and ran (& walked) smart.

triguyjt said...

will never look at rock paper scissors the same way again..lol

good that u listened to your body and didn't go crazy..i'm sure hayley will let you know how she feels...

Patricio said...

Good job on the race!!

PC