22 January 2009

2009 Races and Goals

I began my race schedule yesterday and while I'm sure it is going to change because life happens that way, I'm pretty happy so far with what I've set up! Here is the schedule, with the possibility to change:


It kinda stinks that the swim got cut last year from the GCT because I'm revisiting two tris of my three last year and I would love to be able to compare my times and see if I've improved. I also decided that I'm going to shoot for 5 tris this year, that way I have a better chance of actually getting to complete more tris with swims. ;)

Here are some of my goals:

1. Get a 10K under my belt - one that I get to finish!
I would really like to do the Dirty Dog again but I feel like I need a 10K finished first and one that is easier than the DD. So I'm shooting for the Towpath 10K in October. I love the Towpath and I know it is going to be a very nice run with awesome scenery! Then I can try the Dirty Dog again in 2010 with my ladies and tear it up out there!

2. Swim, Bike, RUN
I did 3 tris in 2008 and I was never able to completely run the run. I always did intervals or walked at quick pace. I was just always so slow and when I would time my pace I realized that I could walk as fast as I was running so I walked. This year I really want to run at least one of the 5Ks at the end of my tris.

3.Get the excess off!
As you all know, I was diagnosed with PCOS in the Spring of 2007. It came after some serious and quick weight gain that didn't seem to be impacted by what I was eating or my level of exercise. I worked hard over 2007 and was able to lose about 20 pounds of the weight. After my stupid hip flexor injury in February of 2008, I wasn't able to run at all or even swim (for more than 30-45mins) until about May and the weight started to creep back up. So this year, I'm hoping I can put a dent in the number on the scale and at least get half of the excess off. I would love to get it all off! But I also want to set realistic goals and not put myself in a position to be disappointed. Although silently I'm rooting for more! ;)

While, three goals might not seem like alot, I think they are good solid goals to start with and very within my reach! Plus, these all fall into my overarching goal of taking better care of myself (i.e. going to bed early, eating better, getting my workouts in no matter what the house looks like, etc.)

So bloggy friends, what does your 2009 look like? What are you hoping to achieve???

7 comments:

Mike said...

Great lists!!! I need to do the same, like the saying goes: Goals are harder to break if you tell more people about them! :)

Janet Edwards said...

Sounds like a great year!

Trishie said...

Great 2009 planned :)

Mnowac said...

Good list, I hope to see you at Blossom and Sunday in June. If you want a 10K earlier, there is one in June right by us on South Park, it's called the Most Excellent Race and it's flat and a 2 loop course. I hope to make it my first 10K back after the baby.

Steve Stenzel said...

Nice list!! That's a lot of tris!! Good luck!!

The Salty One said...

Hi Tracie!

Those sound like really realistic goals. I hope you meet and exceed every one of them!!! Sorry to hear about the PCOS. My doctor thought I might have it a few years back, but it turned out to be something else. When I thought I had it I did a lot of research about and though scary, it's fairly common and treatable. Sounds like you're doing your part to fight it! Yeah!

tri_al said...

Wow you're race list for 09 is incredible!! I've just found your blog from another blog link and really enjoying the read :) I've just done my second sprint Tri and am now aiming for my first Olympic distance in 10 weeks (not that I'm fretting!!) Running is my weakness (big time) and am working hard at that at the moment. Will post a link to you on my site to keep updated :)

RunCycleSwimVirginCheers, Al