22 October 2012

Running Compromise....Sort of!

Yesterday was day 3 of my October session of Yoga Teacher Training.  Our schedule is pretty intense however, yesterday in addition to our training we did a half mala. I honestly felt a lot better this morning than I expected I would.  Today was a run day, not having run Saturday or Sunday. As I drove into the park, I saw TONS of people on the paved path; it is so nice to see so many people utilizing the parks! I had planned to do an easy run on the paved path because it is rolling and not as challenging as the trail.  But the closer I got to my parking spot, I couldn't help but heed the draw of the trail and the woods.  It wasn't my fastest time on the trails there or my longest but it was probably my best run there yet.  I was stiff and my hamstrings were soooo tired from all the down dogs, etc.  I just took my time and enjoyed my run! It felt amazing and so wonderful to be alone in the woods and running along.  I did what felt right and that was awesome. 

As the leaves were floating down around me on my run, I thought of how competitive I am, even with myself.  I'm always concerned with how fast I went and how far I've gone.  Today I did have a goal in mind; this small bridge.  I didn't make it but I almost made it and it was ok that I didn't.  Today I was kind to myself and enjoyed running and didn't care about anything else except having a great run. Today was different than any other run. EVER. And I loved it. One day of taking it easy and focusing on the experience of running, the beautiful leaves, the smell of wet soil and the sun peeking through the trees was worth more than getting to the bridge or running faster or farther than my last run. 

No comments: