13 April 2008

we're with the band...

Photobucket

Thursday night I drove out to Kent with my friend Jon to meet up with his friend Jeff and his band mates from Entrain. They are from the Boston area and were stopping off for a gig in Kent with Big Leg Emma at the Kent Stage. We got there pretty early and watched the bands' stuff get set up and hung out with Jeff and some of his band mates. Jon, Jeff and I headed over to a deli for some dinner and then we headed back to the Kent Stage for the show. I grabbed some vid of the performance with my camera. Not the best but I just had to grab some so I could share it with all of you. Apparently, zooming while recording has some negative effects on sound. So if it sounds like it is skipping, I was zooming! ;)



It began with the Grateful Dread who rocked out about 5 solid Dead numbers, ending with the ever popular Casey Jones. Grateful Dread is comprised of the members of Entrain, just a little switched up. Jeff stuck to the guitar and Phil stuck with the keys. Here is a clip from one of their numbers.



After the Grateful Dread wrapped up, Entrain took the stage and quickly jumped into a percussion filled number that captivated the audience. I had had a preview in the car briefly on the way to Kent so I was expecting some strong beats and was not disappointed.



The guys are SUPER talented and pull out all the stops...and instruments! I loved hearing the way everything blended together and how great the harmonies were. Whether it is straight percussion or beats and a melody, every one is perfectly orchestrated. Here is another sneak peak at one of their songs.

TURN IT ON


At the intermission, I ran out and grabbed one of their new discs. I believe you can order them off the Entrain site. (If not, email me and I will put you in touch with someone from the band so you can get one.) As Big Leg Emma took the stage, Jon and I tried to help the guys load up all of their equipment. We hung out in the winny for a bit and then snuck back in to check out BLE. I had been listening to their sound check earlier in the day and the voices sounded super familiar. As I watched them, I knew I had seen them around before. They are from WNY, my home away from home for 8 years so I didn't feel crazy after I found that out!



After a few songs, they invited Entrain up and Jeff and Tommy joined in on percussion. Here is the full 7 plus minutes of the song. It is a great one so check out the full thing.

BLE with J and T

Although, I was dragging the next day, it was totally worth it! I had a blast and both bands delivered awesome shows. By the way, they both will be performing at the Blue Heron Festival in Sherman, NY over July 4th weekend. Check it out!!!

2 comments:

B Bop said...

I would've liked to made this one, but have class that night. Did you eat @ the Franklin Square Deli?? Ahhh, good 'ole Kent.

tracie said...

i was going to call you but thought you had a thurs eve class. if they come around again i will let you know. and we did eat at the franklin square deli!