18 July 2008

blink

Things have been crazy for me lately and not in a necessarily good way. It is a long story but to sum it up, I'm getting laid off at the end of the month. So as a result I've had to change things up a bit in terms of my expected season of sorts. I'm pretty sure that this means Great Lakes Escape is out. I just can't plan on the entrance fee, accommodations and purchasing a wetsuit right now. :( So I'm bummed but what can you do right?! I will do Lighthouse and GCT and see if I can fit one more in before the snow falls.

I'm not opposed to change I just feel uneasy about the uncertainty. I know things will work out in the end and remind myself that I don't have to have an answer for everything, that some things just are and we have to adapt. Obviously, I'm back to a full force job hunt but there aren't alot of prospects right now in my field. I'm hoping I can increase my hours at the tutoring center but that still won't bring me up to where I'm at now in terms of a paycheck. Thankfully I still have two more paychecks from due to me! :)

In other news I saw the coolest thing last night. Something I haven't seen in a long time. And it served as a reminder.

I'm warning all you bug people now that it relates to a creepy crawly-ish thing. So I was outside at like 11pm and I was walking down this little path on the side of the house to grab some of the Fresh Stop stuff to put in the basement and I saw this.

I know what you are thinking, WTF? Right? Well it was a huge garden slug. Steve wasn't at all fascinated and he said "Make sure you don't touch it! You shouldn't touch things like that!!!" Seriously, sometimes I wonder if he is really the girl! Anyway, I hadn't seen such a big slug in a long time so I just had to snap some photos. :P






So what does this have to do with anything? Well, first of all it was a reminder to be aware. If you aren't paying attention, you can miss so many things in life! I know most people don't find it exciting to stumble upon a common slug, but if I hadn't been paying attention I might have stepped on the little fellow. Also, to appreciate the little things. Life is a blink-and-you'll-miss-it journey. So often we move so quickly we forget to take time to look and observe and listen carefully to ourselves, each other and nature. I will need to practice this as began my new job search.

4 comments:

Mike said...

Keep your head up and good luck with the search! One day at a time, you'll be alright!

triguyjt said...

tracie....you are always upbeat...you have talent...you will land on your feet....

watch out for those creepy crawly things...

Charlie said...

Sorry 'bout the GLE decisions. This sport is all about adaptability and patients. You posses that.
Good luck with the job search.

Mnowac said...

I agree! I am the same way. You should of seen me at the towpath on Sat, I kept making everyone stop to look at the turtles and herons I had spotted. After like 3 hours, they could have cared less, but I just kept stopping to look. I sent you L's email, hopefully she can help you out on the job front.