07 July 2008

yummy weekend!

First, many thanks to all of you! As always your comments are great and help me stay motivated!

This weekend, I volunteered at the Summer Tri in Lorain. The event was fun and overall it seemed like people enjoyed it. The run was pretty tough though as there wasn't a BIT of shade! I worked the water stop with fellow CTCer Patrick. Pretty much EVERYONE looked like they were struggling a bit from the heat/sun/humidity. I seriously felt horrible for them! After clean up Beth, Brandon and I headed over to Lucky's in Tremont for some super delish food!!! Mmmmm, I think I could eat breakfast there everyday! I had an awesome omelet with spinach, mushrooms, zucchini and cheese. It was enormous, so I did my best! You know when you eat something that is super yummy and you start to get full but you so much want to finish it because it is just that good?! That is EXACTLY how I felt! I didn't succeed in eating the whole thing but I managed a good half to two-thirds! :)

Then for dinner I made this awesome pasta I picked up at the Farmer's Market in Tremont. Ohio City Pasta makes some really great stuff! I used some green and yellow zucchini from my fresh stop share and threw in some yellow and red peppers, pasta sauce (also local from Little Italy) and diced up some chicken. It was tasty! (If I do say so myself. ;) )

I have been riding around the neighborhood lately and am beginning to feel more confident. I still freak out if I have both feet clipped in and I have only worked up to 15 mph before I feel like I have to slow down. It is so weird! It isn't like I don't have other bikes to ride or that I've never ridden, I'm not sure if it is just the clips or also my seating. The other bikes I have(had), I have always been more upright so this is a definite switch.

I'm hoping to get out to ride the Fairport route this week/weekend to prepare for the tri at the end of the month. I was going to go out with my brother yesterday evening but I was beat after being outside all morning and then returning home and cleaning and doing laundry. The course has three separate crossing at railroad tracks. So I'm not looking forward to going over tracks six times but at least I won't freak out on race day when I have to do it!




I ran this morning. Only 1.5 miles on the treadmill, but it is something! :) I am so blah when it comes to running. I really enjoy swimming and cycling, but running I'm like what-ev. I have to change my attitude about it. I will say this, I'm not concerned about the runs. Even for GLE, I figure my main goal is to finish, if I'm happy with my swim and ride I could care less about how the run goes. If I have to walk the whole thing, so be it. Finishing is my goal! :)

The whole reason I began triathlon was to have fun and have goals to work toward. So for this year just completing the race is really enough for me to be satisfied and happy with my performance. Next year I can work towards breaking some major PRs. ;)

Oh, any suggestions for crossing the railroad tracks??? I'm kind of afraid I might fall over. :P

7 comments:

Mike said...

Hi Tracie,

Thanks for the comment oln my blog! Railroad tracks are no sweat, stand over hover over the seat with you pedals level (no need to pedal while on the tracks only pre and post tracks) where ever your hands are on the handle bars grip firmly but not death grip. the other secret is to cross as perpendicular to the tracks as possible if they are at an angle try to hit them square on not at an angle that's when things get dicey. Once you go over a few times you'll be fine!

Happy riding! :)

Mike

triguyjt said...

mike had the best advice... the fairport course is very flat and very fast...you will do great..

run has a slight uphil grade from 1.5 miles to about 2.5 miles and it dips down to beach to finish...its fun....

see you there

Patricio said...

Agreed! Just stand over the saddle and you'll be fine.
Good luck! :)

PC

Mnowac said...

You'll be fine, I've ridden over there, the tracks aren't too bad. You don't have to do anything special, but I lift my butt up when I go over bumps.

Have fun!

Charlie said...

i love the fairport harbor race. They always have a great spread of food. The course is mostly flat. Mike suggestion is right on. Just be sure to pay attention. My biking accidents happen due mostly to me being distracted.

Steve Stenzel said...

Oh jeez, I'm hungry. I have to go eat.

And the best thing for crossing tracks to just to hit them perfectly perpendicular. Don't cross at an angle. (just like mike said).

allanjel said...

Definitely, stand up to take the tracks and pull up a little to lighten the front end as you are about to hit and I don't mean pull a wheelie. You get no points for style in these things.