14 July 2008

lessons learned, except for the sunscreen one...

This Sunday I met up with BH, JE, and MN for a ride of the Fairport course. I didn't get to do the entire course but all in all it was a good ride and I learned alot. Here are some things I identified as needing to work on:

1. clipping in and out - Seriously folks, I HATE my stupid shoes and my stupid pedals. I totally wiped out right at the beginning of our ride because I was so busy worrying about clipping in my damn right foot that I couldn't get up the hill. So then I just gave up and put down my right foot and as usual slid across the pavement and fell. Oh well, I haven't fallen in a while and at least I got it out of the way early! :)

2. gears - I'm still working on what is the right 'place' for me gear-wise and knowing when to change.

3. mileage - Practice, practice, practice! Nuff said.

4. hydration - My cages are pretty tight and as a result you really have to yank hard to get the bottles out. Therefore, I don't usually drink while riding cuz the last time I tried it, it felt like I was trying to rip the bike out from under me. I have a camelback that I might start wearing because not hydrating is just plain silly!

The girls were great, as usual, and Monica was my personal coach! She kept trying to give me hints on how to ride better and was the perfect, Momma Hen as cars approached.

Also, as Beth's email stated this AM "Holy head wind Batman!" Seriously, going down Fairport Nursery Road, sucked major ass on the way back in. The wind was pretty strong and I felt like such a weakling.

I still am not sure what the rest of this season is going to bring me (yes I know it is almost over). I often feel as though I will NEVER be ready to compete and the times when I say I can I feel like I just might be in denial. Basically, I just need to focus more on getting my mileage up and becoming more comfortable.

Oh I almost forgot!

5. sunscreen - It isn't that I never learned this nor that I choose to not do it on purpose, but in my defense, I couldn't reach all the areas on my back that needed sunscreen and didn't think to ask any of the ladies before we got started. So as a result, I have a completely bright red upper back with a LOVELY white racerback design. Gotta love it! ;)

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Tracie,

Hang in there with the clipless pedals. Everyone gets flustered and falls. AND OH DID I FALL. In the long run you will be more efficient.

Mike said...

Hang in there, practice makes perfect!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Guess What?! You did it and that makes you a bad-ass! Stick with it!!!

Patricio said...

You said the key word: practice! No worries, it takes time. You'll be fine.
Good job!

Oh, and I love your bike's name! :)

PC

allanjel said...

Continuing on the Batman theme from my email...

"Why do we fall? So we can learn to pick ourselves up." -Alfred (speaking to Bruce Wayne when he was a child)

Jack said...

Isnt it funny that the only time you fall due to the clipless pedals is when there are a lot of people watching?

Tea said...

You'll get it! I think I'm only now starting to learn my place on the bike.

(btw-have you tried the Neutrogena spray sunscreen with helioplex? it's supercool because you can spray the can upside down or any direction!)

triguyjt said...

you will get very comfy with it. keep plugging away on it....