31 July 2008

Perspective

I know this sounds cliche, but seriously life is all about perspective. I always tell my brother that when he starts to bitch about things that aren't the way he thinks they should be etc. I really believe that we have a choice in life; well many choices but overall we can decide what life is going to be like. You can be happy if you choose to be happy. In spite of all the bullshit, you can truly make the best of things and maintain a generally sunny outlook. I think it does wonders for your state of mind. However, dwelling on the shitty things that have happened to you over time doesn't really get you anywhere - except more unhappy.

Two weeks ago, I woke up and felt overwhelmingly content. Just satisfied. Of course there are things that I would change if I had a magic wand, but in general I just felt so good about where I am in life right now. Two days later I found out I wouldn't have a job at the end of the month. You know what? That didn't change how I felt.

Charlie asked me the other day if I really spent close to a half hour in T1. Yes! I did! FOR REAL. lol We both just laughed. My goal wasn't to break any records or kill myself on the race but to enjoy every minute of it. Just soak it in and have a blast! And I did. All 2 hours and 33 minutes of it! ;)

For the most part, the people that I've met from the tri club, racing and blogging are very welcoming and just all around great supportive people. I feel so so lucky to have them in my life and I know the friends that I've made as a result are ones that I will have forever.

That said, there are quite a few people that sometimes let the competition get the better of themselves. I remember this past winter. I was at the Chili Bowl. Charlie and I were stretching and getting ready for the race. Janet popped by and said hello and we wished each other well. Then someone came up who I had never met before. We chatted with Janet and then she went on to her warm up. He looked at me and said what is your goal for today. I laughed a little and said that I would be happy with a 13-15 min pace. Instantly, he said WHAT!?! that is sooo slow! I'm definitely going to be faster than that. I just smiled and said well good for you, I hope you have a great race! He kind of shook his head and went on his way.

The Chili Bowl was my first race after my hip flexor injury. I didn't have any great expectations for that day other than just racing and having fun. I knew that my hip would probably bother me and that I would end walking most of it. However, I didn't care. I was there and I was doing what I could and I was finishing. That's all that mattered.

This is just one example of either comments made directly to me or things I've heard people say about others. When I hear statements about people walking during races or rides, or using what is considered to be an easier gear or swimming without perfect form and struggling, I get a little disappointed. The whole point of triathlon is to compete with yourself. To love every minute and see how far you can push yourself, becoming better every time. Every race I do is MY race. I do it the way that feels best for ME. Because, God willing, there will always be another day and another race.

I think of how lucky I am to even have the opportunity to participate. How even though I might not be in perfect shape, my body works and I CAN test that. We are all works in progress, that is what life is all about. Growing and becoming more than what you are today.

I can physically, emotionally and mentally push myself to go places I've never been and see what I can accomplish. It is a feeling like no other I've experienced.

When I volunteered at the Rite Aid marathon this year, I got to see something I had never seen before, up close and personal. It was dreary and rainy and cold. We were setting up the cups, preparing for the runners. Suddenly, Monica said, "Oh oh here come the wheelchair racers." We both stopped and watched and cheered as they went by. I remember looking at her both of us with tears in our eyes. I had so much emotion, even today, I felt so proud of them. They didn't give up. They were still racing even though their legs weren't the mechanism propelling them forward. It was one of the most inspirational things I've ever seen.

Please remember as you embark on your journey, that it is YOUR journey. You might share it with someone but ultimately all that matters is how you are traveling. Be kind to others and you will find the same kindness throughout your journey. Only measure yourself against your actions and goals, not the actions and goals of others. Make sure that at the end of each day you are thankful for that day and you are happy to wake up with yourself the next morning.

Keep perspective and you will have light shoulders and an open heart.

10 comments:

Charlie said...

Nice post.

I think it sad when all that is important is beating others. When that ends, what is left.
Enjoy every race.

But seriously, 29 minutes? Were you having coffee?

Mnowac said...

Very nicely said. I couldn't agree more.

Mike said...

Well put! Good luck at YOUR GCT race this weekend!

Jen said...

I'm soooooooo with you. It's all about having fun and challenging ourselves by our own standards. I kind of want to beat up whoever said the negative comments to you. But I'll just take solace in knowing that we, at least, will have more fun than that person. You rock!

Unknown said...

I totally agree. Nice post. :)

Marcy said...

Thank you for this! This truly is one of the BEST posts I've seen ;D

triguyjt said...

excellent post tracie.....

thanks!!

Tea said...

I'm always shocked at some of the low class comments people make.

Each and every race is YOUR race. The more we remember that, the more fun we have!

Tribrit said...

Unless you are aiming for prize money then at the end of the day the only person that your performance matters to is you. I agree, I like to have fun at my races and I won't be taking home any prize money!!!

Sarah said...

Well said. :) I found your blog on JT's blog roll and noticed we have very similar blog titles (aren't we so original and creative?).

Anyway, I felt really bad that somebody said that to you. I think the only people who seriously need to be concerned with what others are doing are the pros and some top age groupers. Even then, though, you often have to still race YOUR race because only YOU know what you're capable of. Racing the field is risky.

You are so right that this sport is about us and our competition with ourselves, and I think that people lose sight of that so easily. That guy's comment was clearly an indication that he had little self-esteem and used races as a false way to feel better about himself, and that is SO LAME!

Great post. :)