25 September 2008

signs of change

Yesterday morning, I woke up and was looking out of one of the windows in my bedroom and saw two beautiful red leaves. That is right everyone, fall is silently sneaking in! Things are changing! In fact, my life is FULL of change right now!

As many of you know, I have been looking for a job. :( I've actually kind of been looking for a new job for a while but had a job that I at least enjoyed and made decent money doing. When that ended, I was out looking for a new job. I have been interviewing and sending out a million resumes but just haven't really found anything. A few weeks ago, I had a meeting with the Mayor of South Euclid and the Housing Manager there. I have known the Mayor for several years and consider her to be a mentor, so whenever I have new ideas or info about things happening in the planning world, we sit and chat about it! It just so happened that the City was interviewing for a housing inspector position.

Of course the first question that was asked as I sat in my interview was "Why do you want this job? You are so overqualified." BLAH! I can't tell you how often I hear that. :( It isn't totally my fault that I like working in nonprofits and that they are always looking for entry level positions!!! Anyhow, I told them that I knew the salary was significantly less than what I am used to and that it might seem like the job won't offer enough challenges, but I really miss working with people and doing what I love to do most! I see planners as having a wonderful opportunity. While many people think that urban planners are the ones who make change in fact it is the people who do; we just facilitate change. With the housing market in the state that it is, there is so much opportunity for communities to embrace change and have a significant impact on the future of the community.

So the same day I saw the leaves starting to change, I got a call offering me the job. While it pays less than my last job, I will enjoy it more and it is more than I am making unemployed! ;)

Then as I was sitting on my bed doing some work in photoshop this is the sight I saw:


Two cat tails TOUCHING each other. While the peace didn't last too long, it was a welcome sign!

I hope that everyone is having an awesome week!!!

5 comments:

Charlie said...

Congrats!

Mnowac said...

Congratulations. This must be a huge relief! I am so happy for you!

See you Sunday?

Craig said...

Congrats :)

Josh Middleton said...

Congratulations on the new job. It sounds like an exciting opportunity. Best wishes to you!

Yay! Two tails touching. We cat people know that's a HUGE step in the right direction!!!

Josh

Steve Stenzel said...

Yay for the job!

And that's too funny about the cats!!