12 May 2008

learning how to run

So I began my oh so strenuous re-training schedule this weekend. 15 whole minutes!!!

Well, I'm only allowed to run for a few minutes. Here is how it goes per Dr. Shah's instructions:

15 minutes 3 times a week for two weeks

5 min warmup
1 min run x 4
1 min walk x 3
3 min cooldown

So as you can see it is pretty difficult. ;) I'm actually going to cheat just a bit and run every other day, time permitting for two weeks. He told to me to increase as I feel ready to do it. But follow the 10% rule. So I basically, I will be increasing total time which gives me about a 10% increase for time running give or take. I also am stretching more than I used to which is good, but time consuming. My quads were a bit sore yesterday which isn't a good sign because I'm supposed to be using my hamstring. :( I'm going to keep focusing on my hammies while I run and see what Lydia has to say tomorrow night. I also see Haley for pilates this week too so I can get both opinions! :) If my quads and glutes are super tight then I know I'm doing it wrong.....again.

I should already be in training for my oly this September but I can't make miracles happen. I set up a training for training schedule for the rest of this month and then hopefully by the end of June, I will be at the numbers I should be for my oly training plan.

I also am hoping that things will start to settle with work schedules and I can make sure I get 30 min swim sessions 4-5 times a week. Depending on how I'm feeling that day I can get 1500-1750 yds done in 30-45mins. So if I can manage at least 4 days a week in the pool cranking out 1500yds each session my weekly total will be 6,000 yds. Which is more than enough to get me ready for September. Then I will incorporate one long swim day once a week in July and then for three weeks in August get the race distance (about 1640yds) in once a week in open water.

I'm not any further with the bike so HOPEFULLY I can get on a regular schedule with that too.

I have the SummiTri on the list. I haven't paid my entry yet so I can still wait things out and see how it goes. I'm hoping to get a 5k in before that because my last race was in February two weeks after my injury. I rallied the troops this week and sent out an email plea to my girls asking for running company at a Hermes race the weekend of June 14th. Anyone doing that race??? I just don't want to go into my 'first' tri not having raced at all since February! I'm a big practicer. ;) I'm still thinking of the GCT oly to practice for GLE. I am for sure going to volunteer for the kids race the day before. I think it will be a blast!

Tonight I'm heading over to the Tavern Company with my bro and a few friends for burgers n' beers night! We are planning on catching some of the Cavs game. Hopefully they will be giving the spankings instead of receiving!

2 comments:

Charlie said...

Sounds like a really smart plan. Stick to it. If you are patient, every thing will fall together.
Go Cavs!

triguyjt said...

great plan...
you will be getting the swimming in fine....
everything will come together...

glad you are back at it..
cavs willbe fine...