14 May 2008

wednesday musings

Sometimes I think my mind works like a firework's finale. I think of one thing which usually leads to another topic which is pretty much unrelated to the preceding topic and so on and so on. I also seem to find humor in, well pretty much everything!

Yesterday, Steve and I were driving to Chagrin (Only two more weeks left of stupid high school! I'm not sure which one of us is more excited.) and as we turned onto Silsby this truck pulled out in front of us. I tried to get a pic of the tire cover thingy but it didn't come out so well. I'm also pretty sure that the person knew I was trying to take a pic of their car too so that didn't help any. (Yes I carry my camera all the time! And this my friends is a perfect example of why!!!) I seriously started laughing my ass off. I mean it was 6:45am which has something to do with it, but I love stuff like this. So anyway here is the pic and this is what it says since it is hard to read:

"THE MIDDLE EAST IS ON FIRE
ARE YOU READY FOR JESUS' RETURN"






I'm not sure what I love the most about this. I could prob go on forever, seriously. So I'm going to stop. I will say this though, I would really like to know when EXACTLY Jesus is coming because if it is soon I wouldn't worry about paying off my student loans. ;) I mean if Nostradamus is right, we only have like 4 years left. If that really is the case I don't want to spend the last four years of my existence worrying about paying back Sallie Mae!!!

Are you there Jesus? It's me, Tracie.

So anyway, back to my firework thought process.

I was sitting here at work thinking about exactly what that tire cover thingy said and all I could remember was the beginning. So I googled "the middle east is burning" hoping that whomever created this thing was selling them somewhere so I could find the whole message and a better pic. I got lots of things but not that. :(

The first thing was an article from 2002 about how 15 girls were prevented from fleeing a Saudi school on fire because they were not dressed appropriately. Apparently, the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice beat the girls so they could not leave the building and locked the doors leaving them to die.

My future daughters are doomed. Because of this article I now have even more ammunition about how I'm really not as terrible as they think when I say, "there is no way in hell you are wearing THAT to school!"

So back to the story. (See what I mean!?) It struck me as slightly ironic that this special police force was supposed to be promoting virtue by basically killing 15 girls because they didn't have a head scarf on. I don't know a whole lot about Islam. I have a few relatives that practice but I've never really gotten to know too much. So I started with a search of virtue and wikipedia provided me with this information:

Virtues in Islam

In Islam, there are many virtues, such as honesty, mercy, patience, sincerity ..etc scholars may have different ways while putting them in different categories. The Quran, God's Word in Islam, and Prophet Mohammad speak about each virtues in its own content and contexts while linking the virtues together when appropriate, without listing them all in one place.


Let the irony continue. I pretty much figured that mercy would be a virtue that Islam would celebrate. I mean mercy is a good thing, how can you be down on that!? Which is why it seems so ironic to me that as the 'police' were choosing to prevent vice they were actually completely throwing the virtue part, well into the fire. I guess it is all about priorities. Who knows. But maybe the Commission for the Promotion of Virtue and Prevention of Vice should drop the promotion of virtue business. I tried finding a complaints and suggestions contact but one does not seem to exist so I cannot share my wonderful idea with them.

This is an example of why I'm pretty much convinced that if I ever traveled to some place like, say Iran, that the moment I step off the plane I will be arrested. I tried to find out if that had happened to anyone but it seems that they have only arrested women trying to leave. So maybe there is hope for my future middle east traveling plans.

Which leads me to......the key phrases that get your phone conversations and emails flagged as pertaining to terror. Now that I have pretty much said all of them except bomb, al-qaeda and praise Allah, I'm pretty sure that I'm on the list.

For all of my bloggy friends, if any of you would like to be removed from my list of links so you stay off the terror watch list, please notify me at your earliest convenience. ;)

I swear to God if there are people in black suits and sunglasses waiting for me when I get home, I'm going to die from laughter.




FYI: The writer was not on any mind-altering substances immediately before or during the writing of this post. This is unfortunately normal.

2 comments:

JenC said...

If you get an answer from Jesus, could you let me know? : )

Wow, what a sad story. I would say that they people who did that were evil and were not practicing the true Muslim way. I guess they'll see what they reaped when they die.

triguyjt said...

wow..tracie...the way that mind of yours works!!!!!!!!!