03 August 2008

Burning River 100 Miler

First, I want to thank everyone for so many positive responses on my last post. I wasn't sure how it would be received so I was pleasantly surprised! :)

Last night Steve and I went down to the Boston Store to volunteer for the aide station at the Burning River 100 Miler. We worked the last shift. It was Steve's first time volunteering at any sort of race event and he really enjoyed himself so hopefully he will think of doing it again! :)

The weather was wonderful!!! The rain we had the night before brought a ton of bugs out though so we were all spraying the bug spray and sticking close to the torches.

My friend Melissa was a participant. At 11:15 I had lost communication with Beth and couldn't find out if where Mel was or how she was doing. We had quite a few people drop and I was sooooo worried that the darkness would dampen her spirit. When I finally got home, I rushed to my laptop to see where she was. The site showed her up to 85 - that made me exhale a huge sigh of relief. Beth texted me a couple of times throughout the night. I left my phone next to my bed so I would wake up from any incoming messages. And then this morning, I got the news that she had finished!!!!!

Congrats Mel I'm sooooo proud of you!!!!! :)

ESpeed was our aide station captain and Laura was also helping to keep order. These two gals did such an amazing job!!! ESpeed was running around making sure that all was well and that things were running smoothly!

Congrats to all the participants! Regardless of your times or finishing, you all did an amazing job! This is really such an unbelievable undertaking! Be proud of your training and your efforts yesterday and today!!!

Now I'm off for a ride and then to the parents' house for dinner! Friday was my last day at ESI. I know they will be calling (frequently) for things but it was still kind of sad to close a two year period. I hadn't always loved every aspect of my job but I did like the people I worked with. Tomorrow, I have the handy man coming because I was having outlet problems Saturday! I thought for sure there was about to be a fire!!!

I hope all of you have had a wonderful weekend and enjoyed the great weather!!!

3 comments:

triguyjt said...

CONGRATS TO MELISSA!!!

hope you get the outlet situation under control....

allanjel said...

Thanks for all your encouragement. It was awesome having so many people rooting for her. It was an amazing accomplishment.

E-Speed said...

Tracie,

Thank you so much for you and your brothers help Saturday night at Boston Store! You guys were awesome. I am so lucky to know so many great people who were able to help out! Hopefully you'll be back next year for more :)