28 March 2008

busy bee

So as most of you know, I'm FINALLY finishing up my masters this semester. I'm glad to be finishing but I'm VERY stressed out about my project and the closely approaching due date (APRIL 7th). This as well as alot of CRAZY CRAZY work stuff has had me very busy and therefore unable to be here writing away for your daily entertainment. ;) Sorry about that!!! But after the 7th things will start to return to normal, at least as close to normal as my life may be.

Hopefully, I'll have some pics to post soon. I have a volunteer thing this Saturday and the setting will provide a number of wonderful photo opportunities. I'm bringing my standard digital AND my 35mm! I haven't been out with it in a while so it will be nice to get some good shots. Fingers crossed, I'll have something to share.

As for sharing time at present, I found a very interesting blog today. Some of you may already be acquainted with it.

McCainBloggette.com is a site, which is in no way affiliated with the Presidential Campaign of John McCain (as per the disclaimer), maintained by Meghan McCain, the 23 year old daughter of the Presidential hopeful. I wasn't sure what to expect when I first arrived at the blog. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the blog doesn't deal with the 'issues' of the campaign - AT ALL. Meghan focuses her writings on what it is like to be on the campaign trail. All the places they are traveling to and the activities that she has going on. She has wonderful pics and videos from behind the scenes, at events, on the plane and at fund raisers, courtesy of Heather Brand and Shannon Bae, respectively. It is interesting to see what goes on while stomping for the White House. I can bet that many of us will never have the chance to experience it, so this small glimpse is a fun way to see what goes on when the world isn't watching.

I really enjoy being able to see people in his/her element. You get to learn more about the person. It's like when you are dating someone. The first time you meet his/her family, you get to see how they relate and what the dynamics are, you can learn so much about a person. That's what this is like, except a little less hands on. Meghan is honest and open about her thoughts and feelings. Even reading some of the captions to the pictures, you realize that Meghan is a regular, down to earth twenty something. She forgoes makeup and perfectly styled hair in many pics and vids. She is real. That is one of things that really struck me. Obviously, she wants her dad to be president and she isn't going to divulge any shocking or inappropriate information, but she is trying to show the side of her life that is private. Sharing personal and public moments alike, to bring some humanity to the process of electing a president. There is even a post titled "10 Things You Don't Know About My Mom," where Meghan informs readers among other things that she was named rodeo queen in high school, loves the band Cream and that her favorite snacks are Cheetos and salt and vinegar chips. Meghan even takes time to create music playlists, sharing her current iPod favs.

I wish every campaign had a fun, light hearted blog that showed the process and let us get to know the candidates as people. I often wonder about all of the three major candidates. What they like to do just before bed, what their favorite breakfast is, their most memorable childhood experience, who their first friend was. These little tidbits remind us that for better or worse, the political figures are still people. People just like the rest of us.

I like to see the candidates laugh and cry. Get personal, real. I truly enjoy how involved the spouses and children of the candidates have been during this pre-election time. I was proud of Chelsea for standing up for her mother (although the question that was posed, is one of my biggest issues with Hillary, but that is another topic! ;) ) If Hillary was my mother, I would have told the guy to go pound salt as well.



Seeing the families of the candidates gives us a small glimpse of who they are as people. Just like when Jenna Bush was on the Ellen Show. Ellen asks her to call the President and as a result we hear typical comments that any child might say about his/her father, President or not.



Hopefully, as the campaigning continues, so will appearances by those that know more about the candidates than we will ever know.

3 comments:

GP said...

Families do give candidates a personal touch. You'd just wish they were allowed to show that personality themselves ;-)

All the best on your masters. I'm finishing up mine as well, so here's the racing down that final stretch. Woo hoo!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Actually, watching Jenna Bush on the Today Show and Ellen completely changed my thoughts and opinions of her...Living in Austin, she's always been the drunk chick that was busted at a couple of bars for underage drinking. Those interviews showed a completely different and honest side of her.

It is refreshing to hear something different than the usual political rhetoric from the candidates.

Josh Middleton said...

Interesting blog post. Thanks for the recommendation. It sounds like an interesting blog. I wish Chelsea would do something like that!

Good luck with your project and all the busy-ness that is your life presently!

Josh