18 August 2008

animal adventures

Things with the new cat aren't going so well. :( She pretty much HATES Morris and being confined in one room. I can understand the confinement but not the other issue; I mean she was with seven other cats and I know at least one was a male. I don't know! Obviously we will have to wait and see.


Tonight after another cat "bonding" session I was getting ready for bed and went looking for Morris. I found him in the living room half under the couch. He often "hides" but forgets to hide his whole self. So I tried to figure out what he was doing. I went to pick him up and he scurried under the couch to the other side. So I knelt down on the floor and looked under the couch from behind it. There was one of the toss pillows under the couch in between us. He was staring at it intently and I noticed something fuzzy on top of it. I thought it was one of his toys so I tipped the pillow towards him and all of a sudden this thing flies out from under the couch and right in front of my face and starts flying around in circles!!!

I started screaming and ran into the hallway and started screaming for Steve to get up, that there was a bat in the house!!! Yep' that's right a B.A.T!!!!

He was all confused and I recounted my story like this:

"Ssstteevvee IwastryingtogetMorristogotobedandtherewasthisthingunderthecouch (deep breath) anditstartedflyingincirclesandididn'tknowwhattodo (deep breath) andandandthere'sa!baaaaat!!!"

He looked kind of confused and then he saw it and started freaking out (this kid calls me to kill spiders). Then he was like where is Morris and I said in the living room and then I thought of how bats can have rabis and he could bite Morris and then I would have to put him to sleep. (Cut me some slack people, you try not being overdramatic when you have a bat circling the dining room and living room at midnight on a Sunday!)

So Steve grabbed his carrier and I ran into the kitchen and grabbed a bag of his treats and started shaking the bag and calling him. Thank god Morris loves his greenies more than chasing a bat!

So we grabbed Morris and the phone and went in the hall. I called my mom hysterical and recounted the story this time without breathing and then of course started crying cuz what else is there really to do at that point!

I have dealt with getting rid of bats before but that was in the day time and in North Carolina. So I was pretty sure that I couldn't catch the bat with only a broom. Oh and here is my mother, "Don't you have some kind of net?"

"Oh yeah mom, I'll just grab my trusty butterfly net!!!"

So she finally calms me down and gets me some 24 hour exterminators. I was finally able to get one of them and about an hour later the critter man came and caught the bat.

Thank.god!!!!!

Currently, I believe we are bat free and hopefully we can stay that way! Who knew Cleveland Heights had such friendly bats?!

7 comments:

Josh Middleton said...

Oh my gosh! That's crazy. and hilarious! What an adventure.

I'm sure the cats just need a little more time. Morris is probably putting out extra territorial vibes than the other cats she was used to boarding with. He'll learn to share eventually!

Tea said...

LMAO!! I would have RUN out of the house! I hope you're bat free now. I know they are pretty much harmless....they're just so ugly.

Mike said...

I thought that was good luck or something. Hmm...must have been wrong. Did you know bats can sqeeze through a hole that is 1" square? How crazy!

Jen said...

It took a good two weeks of ass-kickings and hissy fits for my cats to really get comfortable with each other. Now they snuggle with each other, groom each other, and are just generally cute together. There's still the occasional ass-kicking, just to sort out who's top cat, but they love each other. I hope your little guys will work it out!

Patricio said...

TOO FUNNY! I hate bugs... HATE THEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Steve Stenzel said...

OH GOD! What a story! I would have just thought the cat was "hiding" too - one of my cats does that under the newspaper.

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Gross, Gross, Gross!! You have more guts than me :-) We're currently going through the same "bonding" issues. We brought a new kitten home two weeks ago and our older cat HATES him...hissing, growling...you name it. I'm hoping it gets better!!!