11 August 2008

GCT 2008 Part 1: Weekend begins with tummy troubles and cold weather

Yesterday was the GCT! This weekend was sooooo much fun; exhausting but fun. Saturday morning I woke up around 4:30am and had a quick breakfast, jumped in the shower and started to get ready to head over to the GCT Youth Tri. I was good till about 5:15am. Then I got super super sick and thought I was NEVER going to make it to the Youth Tri! :( Finally, around 7:00am my stomach started to settle down and I threw on some clothes, stopped for gas and made my way over to Mentor.

The Youth Tri was awesome and soo much fun to watch! All of the kids did great and worked so hard!

After the Youth Tri, I stuck around and helped with packet pick up. That was super fun, because I got to see lots of people I haven't seen in a while.

Saturday night, I didn't get much sleep. I had only had about 4 hours the night before so I took a nap around 4:30pm for an hour and 15mins. Then I got up and started getting my stuff together for the next day. Did some laundry, watched the olympics for a bit, the weather (I knew the cold front was going to have some major effects on race day, but still was hoping for the best!) and finally got in bed around 12:30am. Around 1am I woke up feeling tight through my hamstring. I knew wearing my dumb crocs wasn't the best idea with a race the next day, but I didn't think that standing around for 6 hours would really be an issue. I would have worn my running shoes, but I didn't want to get them FULL of sand the day before a race!

I got up and went in the living room to stretch and use the foam roller on my back, hamstring and IT. 20 minutes later I was back in bed. I woke up around 4:45am and totally didn't want to get out of bed. I had everything ready to go but was a bit nervous. In the short time that I did sleep I had a dream that I got all the way to the race and when I got to transition realized that I had forgotten my bike at home! :( So needless to say, I was double checking EVERYTHING to make sure I didn't forget a thing! ;)

Mom and I made our way to Mentor and found a place to park. I started unloading my stuff from the car: transition bag, bucket, bike pump, bike. There was a buzz in air; I could tell that while everyone was groggy people were still pumped!

I saw Ben Miralia walking down our aisle and heard the words that I had been dreading since seeing the lake the day before.......

1 comment:

Jen said...

The suspense, the suspense!!!