21 August 2008

learning and growing

Yesterday I spoke to the woman from the rescue where we got Isabel. She was very disappointed in us. I truly believe that Isabel needs more than we can give her right now. She has experienced a significant amount of change (aka trauma) over the past 4-6 weeks and I really think that a single cat home would be best for her. I called the rescue this morning and left a message asking her to call me back. It is a heartbreaking decision to make but I think it is best for her and us.

Now Steve wants to get a kitten. I think I need to talk to him more about what to expect. He seemed to think, regardless of all of my warnings, that this transition would go more smoothly for her. I will say that I'm incredibly surprised by Morris' progress. The first few days were kind of difficult but after about 5 days he started to become more interested in her and seemed curious and excited to be making a new friend.

I'm not someone who gives up - on anything - so this is a difficult thing for me to do. Giving her back is the right thing though. The decision wasn't completely mine because she is Steve's cat. He realized that she needed more nurturing and attention than he was able to provide. She has alot of healing to do and needs to be the companion of someone who has more experience with that. It makes me sad but we have learned alot from this and hopefully Steve will bounce back and find the perfect kitty for him!

No comments: