12 August 2008

GCT 2008 Part 3: My T1 PR!

I started the 'swim/run' at the back of the pack. I had no real expectations that I was going to run very fast (or very much! :P). So I hung back and walked most of it.

I got into T1 and thought of everyone who had reminded me to PR in T1 today. :) I grabbed some water (cuz I still haven't mastered DWC [drinking while cycling] ) and changed my shoes. Like Jack, I was having some clip issues but finally got going.

The bike was challenging for sure. Once I got out of the park, I saw my crazy ladies, Beth, Melissa and Elizabeth jumping up and down and yelling like crazy! I couldn't help but laugh, shake my head and smile! :) Because there were 4 distances, I had all different levels of athletes on the course with me. Everyone was really nice and encouraging as they passed. Just before the first big hill, Amie came around me and we exchanged hellos.

I was really unsure of this ride. I had wanted to ride the course once before the race and didn't have a chance. I'm kind of glad I didn't because I don't know if I would have had the guts to follow through with the race. The course overall was challenging; the hills were steep in some spots and the concrete was not kind to my lady parts AT ALL! I in fact thought that when I got off my bike that my vag was going to fall off, seriously!

I only had a few run ins with unkind cars; one that honked at myself and four other cyclists while trying to run us off the road. I did have some weird run ins with other participants. Knowing that I'm a slower cyclist, I stuck as close to the cones as I could so I wasn't int he way. On my way back down Heisley, I heard this woman yell, "On your right! Right, right!" And I started moving right because we are supposed to pass on the left. Then I realized what I was doing and quickly veered left to get out of her way. No sooner was I left and instantly, I heard, "On your left!!!" I was being passed by a pack of 5 riders and instead of them all passing on the left they split around me sending two of the cyclists off the course and into the road and the other three passing on my left in a group. The guys on my left were two abreast with one following them. It was very weird and disorienting.

I was feeling pretty good throughout the ride until I got to the aide station on my way back into the park. I hardly coasted on this course because there was very few areas that were flat for a long period of time. Once I got back on Heisley the wind was really getting stronger and I kept as low as I could (wishing I had aerobars most of the time). On the straight aways I could coast for a bit and when I do, it is just my nature to extend my right leg. As I passed the aide station, I started feeling this knot growing just behind my knee at the top of my calf. I kept extending my left leg, pushing my heel down as far as I could but I couldn't get it to loosen up.

I made my way back into the park and saw my mom and my crazy cheering squad! Those girls are seriously the best and the nuttiest! :)

I got off my bike and the minute my left foot touched the ground, I felt a pain that started at my heel and traveled all the way up to my hip. I walked into T2 changed my shoes, put on my visor and grabbed my water bottle. As I racked my bike, I got my rear derailuer stuck in the front tire of the bike next to mine. So that took some time to maneuver before I could leave.

As I went out the course I saw Rob Reddy and Pam which is always nice to see smiling faces. I did a pretty good walk/run combo for the first mile. My left leg was killing me so I kept stopping at all of the fence posts to stretch. I got to the turn around and made my way back in. I attempted to the the walk/run but spent most of my time walking. As I made my way back into the park, there was this loud cheering and clapping. You guessed it! There were my ladies running towards me! They asked how I was doing and gave some great advice and encouragement. I saw Paul and Aimee near the end of my run and both looked great!

Mom met me just near the shoot and I ran (running limp) into the finish. I was greeted by Cat and chatted with her for a bit.

After I changed and grabbed some gatorade, I got to chat with Jen and Matt C, JT, Nancy, Paul, Charlie and so many others! It was such a great race and Mickey and Pam along with all of the volunteers worked so hard to make it great! Congrats to all the CTCers that were out there this weekend and many thanks to all who helped out!!!

R(S): 16:46
T1: 4:52
B: 58:59
T2: 3:36
R: 56:04

total: 2:20.17

max speed: 20.6
avg speed: 12.5
5k pace: 18:02 (my slowest ever! :( )

7 comments:

Trishie said...

That's crappy that a group split around you instead of just passing on your left. Someone (you!) could have gotten injured! (I'm glad your vag didn't fall off during the bike. That would have been a bummer). Great race report!

Janet Edwards said...

WEll that transition time crushed the last one!!! Good job on the finish!!

TRI TO BE FUNNY said...

Way to go Tracie!!!!! Nice PR and wonderful report!

Mike said...

Yes I have to agree with daisyduc, shaving 25 minutes off a tranistion does help. Nice job overall and don't worry about the 5k, you'll kill it next time. That's why we all keep doing this right? To become better! :)

Charlie said...

Way to stay on target. Good Job.
Have you tried ebaying the race number?

Tea said...

You are so funny! That Transition PR is OFF.THE.CHARTS!

triguyjt said...

great to see you and your mom..
great job on cutting down the transition time....haha...

it was a great day all around...despite no swim