14 August 2008

this is a test

The other night I realized I needed a BUNCH of things for Morris. The cat store that I usually go to was closed by this time so I had to run up to Petco instead. This store usually has cats from the APL or other shelters that they are trying to adopt out. So we usually check them out on the rare occasions we are there. As we approached the cages, this little orange and white cat started crying and reaching through the cage. I asked the lady that was feeding them if I could take her out. She instantly started purring and was just so cute. Not cute enough that I wanted her or anything but super cute! (I don't really want anymore cats!)

So my brother was standing there and he gets all smiles and is petting her and just so in love. And then it happened, "Can I get her?!" I didn't know what to say at first. I wanted to be like "HELL NO!" So I listened to his pleas and attempts at logic and said ok. I filled out the application and told him that we would have to talk to the rescue group she was from and that if her and Morris could get along and he took care of her than it would be ok.

Steve has been wanting to get a pet for a while now and I've been mulling the idea over. He definitely can't get a dog because he isn't home enough and it is soooo much responsibility. So we have had a few conversations about the cat (who is already named) I told him honestly how I felt and what my concerns were. There is already a waiting list for her so I knew that if we didn't take her she wouldn't have to wait long for a new home.

Tuesday evening I got a message from the rescue group letting me know that Casey's people mom was dying from stage 4 breast cancer and that she had to give up her animals because she was preparing to go to hospice in a few weeks. My heart just broke. I was the one who held Max as June said her goodbyes before she went into the hospital. I can't imagine how hard it must be to give up your beloved animals.

I still was feeling uneasy about the whole thing and how Morris would adjust, that I don't really care for cats (except my cat of course), if Steve really would be able to care for her, the extra expense after just being laid off, etc. etc. So we have discussed it length and the rescue people were awesome about giving me info on how to slowly introduce her into our house, more importantly Morris' house! ;)

Today Steve is going to pick up his first pet. I'm worried but I think this might be a great learning experience for all of us. This is the biggest responsibility he has ever had! I'm so worried that he isn't going to take it seriously. But I think I have to let him try it at least. How can you grow and become more responsible if you aren't given the opportunity?

I think it will be good for Morris too. He has been the King of the castle for almost 5 years now and because of his very poor condition when I found him, has always been very attached to me. I have been wanting a dog for a while now and maybe having a new cat sister will help ease him into cohabiting with other pets. Plus, I always feel like he gets soooo lonely when I'm gone for a long day! Now he will have a playmate. A MUCH smaller playmate, which is another concern but I guess I have to let it go and see what happens.

Here are some pics from the shelters website of Casey aka Isabelle:





She is soooo little compared to the giant that Morris is. She can't possibly weigh more than 5-7 pounds! She is around 3 years old and a long hair (yuck!) with a very sweet disposition. Apparently, 90% of all orange cats are males so that makes her more unique!

Wish us all luck! I have a feeling we are going to need it, badly!!!

3 comments:

Trishie said...

She is SUCH a cutie (my husband and I have three rescue cats, volunteer at the SPCA, AND foster kittens, so I have a HUGE bleeding heart for rescue kitties).

Josh Middleton said...

She's definitely a cutie. I wish you guys the best with your new addition. I'm anxious to see how it all unfolds. She's definitely found herself a loving home!

Josh

JenC said...

You're a sweetie. Your brother and Isabelle are lucky to have you! I'm not a cat person either, but they do grow on you.