22 January 2013

Winter Running

Yesterday afternoon I headed out for my scheduled afternoon run.  The weather was a bit chilly; it was about 19 degrees but with the wind chill it felt like it was about 5 degrees.  I think the temps dropped slightly as I ran.  I only lasted 40 minutes or so and had to call it a day.  Winter running is pretty amazing! I love all of the seasons but Spring and Winter are my favorites.  Whenever I'm out running in the snow, I remember something from Lewis Carroll's Through the Looking Glass:

I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says, "Go to sleep, darlings, till the summer comes again."

It seems that the snow is letting the plants and grass and trees and ground kind of wait and rest and be calm until Spring comes forcefully in, making things grow.  I took a bunch of pictures last night but my phone died mid-run so I wanted to share them here. The snow really just makes everything so still and peaceful!  It is like a moving meditation to run with no one around and no other sounds besides your breathing, feet hitting the ground and the wind. :) I hope that all of you enjoy Winter running as much as I do!!! :) 








1 comment:

Tea said...

Yes! I love winter running. There is something about being out there in the cold knowing that no one else is out there.