26 November 2007

feelin the christmas spirit

So tonight after work I decorated my living room and the tree! So much fun! :) I was going to swim tonight but alas I had no willpower! I had a pretty good workout this morning, so I will make sure I swim tomorrow and the rest of the week for that matter!

Anyhow, I have created a slideshow of pics from my decorating party! I thought it might be better than posting a bunch of pics like I did for the A&C. I have included a few ornaments that make my tree every year. My grandma used to buy us ornaments every year.

In fact, the year she died she already had quite a few purchased and wrapped; it was only April!! That year a few of us had presents and ornaments even though she wasn't with us. My mom has given us ornaments pretty much every year too, so I have a bunch of those too. Plus I have a ton from my mom and dad that used to be theirs when they were young. Pretty much every ornament has a story. :) I also have a manger that my grandpa made which I'm sure will be cleaned out by morning, since Morris thinks it is his house!

Enjoy!





I enjoyed my evening though and listened to some of my favorite Christmas songs: Snoopy's Christmas, Merry Christmas Darling, Last Christmas, Celebrate me Home and Frosty the Snowman (but only by the McGuire Sisters). I reminisced and sang along.

So all of you lovely inhabitants of blogland, what are some of your favorite holiday memories?? Any favorite songs, stories or food?? Post and share it with the rest of us! :)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Loved your slide show - now tell that damn cat to get out of the manger. It for small animals, not his big butt!!! Love, Mom

Mnowac said...

Too cute! That's nice that you have a tradition of giving ornaments. I've always been sort of a bah humbug sort of person. We don't have any real traditions. When I was a kid my favorite thing was the stockings, we had giant ones and my mom stuffed them full of great stuff. My niece, who is only 4 years younger than me, would stay at our house and we would get up at like 3 in the morning and go through our stockings and then pack everything back in, we couldn't wait!

When I have kids, I definately want to have some holiday rituals we go through. Nowadays, my husbands family have a great party we go to on Xmas eve at his uncles and then on Xmas day at his aunts (other side of the family). It's fun and we look forward to it.

On Sat - we are going to meet at Caribou at 7:45, if you want to carpool, you can come to my house at 7:20.

tracie said...

Thanks for sharing Monica! I think it is fun to have something to look forward to at the holidays. Even the littlest tradition is meaningful!

I'll have to let you know about Saturday morning closer to the day. I might have a bday celebration on Friday night. So I might be dragging a bit.

B Bop said...

Being that I enjoy ritual in my life, I have to admit I like putting up the christmas tree. I have bunches of old ornaments from my childhood, my favorite of which chirps like a bird when you turn it on. My tree ain't about asthetics, it's about the passing of time.

My holiday season is best enjoyed on a snowy night, with the tree lit, whilst sipping on some holiday ale listening to Joe Tait call a Cavaliers game while I prepare a giant batch of soup.

tracie said...

mmmmmmmm homemade soup! what kind???

My tree is never super pretty either. It is more about the memories to me.

I will agree with you B, on the sipping of a nice brew and a good bball or hockey game!

Charlie said...

My tree isn't really a tree, it is more like an amish sculpture that sits on my table. All of my ornaments are gifts also. It alwas gives the place a little charm.

The cat is great. Can you imagine how history would have changed had a giant cat actually camped out in the manger?

tracie said...

OMG, Charlie! I can't even tell you all of the scenarios that flew through my mind as I pictured the giant cat!

It is always nice to a little something to spice things up during the holidays. :)