18 November 2007

Libraries are cool......

I'm supposed to be getting ready for family dinner, but I'm again sucked into the glowing screen of my laptop, reading articles and blogs. I just read this article from the Times, Much Loved, Now Much Used, about the reinventing of libraries as places or public spaces.

Placemaking isn't a new idea or term but it is on the public radar more recently. I think it has to do with a couple of things. First, I would like to believe that we as a society are becoming more educated; not just school education but everyday life stuff, via the internet. Like everything else in the modern day world, technology certainly has its pluses and minuses. One advantage is the spread of information! And that my friends, is making us smarter. At least a little. ;) As we share things with other people and read about experiences in different cities and countries, our awareness grows, as does our desire to experience more. As a result, we still crave that level of interaction that places/public spaces provide.

Also, PPS has been able to facilitate the spread of information via their website and many projects in NYC. Their location of course helps them greatly in terms of getting the public at large to pay attention. Those of us who have spent significant time in NYC and all of the burroughs are slightly less inclined to be captivated by the name alone, but do recognize that NYC can provide a setting perfect for experiments and observations.

Wow, anyhow, please excuse my ramblings! I read this article about the rebirth of American libraries and was reminded of my very own library on Lee Road. If you haven't been over to check it, please do so. They finished the renovations and every time I'm there it is alive with the hum of knowledge exchange and community building. Libraries really are taken for granted and not recognized as placemakers by the planning community.

I think the whole "Sssshhhhh!" thing might have something to do with it. ;)

4 comments:

Mnowac said...

I'm very proud of how nice the Lee Road library turned out. I am super excited that I can go there monthly to check out a lot of magazines so I don't have to pay for them! I love the auto checkout too.
Don't forget to check out the book club book!

Monica

Steve J Zamiska said...

Yeah i have been to that library too. Its very nice by my standards i would say. It is very interesting too how there isn't more emphases put on the library, like you stated. Seems like something we can look forward to in the future!! ;)

Steve Stenzel said...

libraries ARE cool!!

B Bop said...

Libraries are WAY cool :-)

In the midst of all my thought on TOD, walkable, bikeable, communities, etc. I always fail to think about the library. Thanks...