20 November 2007

ho hum.....

Well, I guess I don't have too much to say; I mean I have a TON of stuff to say, but I can't really talk about it due to the nature of the subject and my feelings to it. I wouldn't want any 'important' people to read this and...................well, you know! Anyway, I have several things/options that I will be investigating over the next few days/weeks and if those turn out not to be viable I will find some others I'm sure, or resort to standing in the corner, crossing my arms over my chest and stomping my feet like a five year old. *breathing deeply*

So I won't bore you with the list of things that are making me unhappy, instead I will share one of my favorite couples in the world! I'm sure many of you already 'know' them but let me introduce those of you who don't!

This is the very dapper Charles Rennie Mackintosh, artist, architect and designer. He was a Scot and is responsible for the Art Nouveau movement in Scotland. Later he would go on to create textiles, metalworks and furniture. His philosophy of design was to design buildings for those that use them, fitting the needs of each client. Unfortunately, many of his designs were never built although some have been built by others.


He was extremely fortunate to meet, fall in love with and marry the most talented and attractive ;) Margaret Macdonald. She was an artist and textile designer. Together they became one of the most influential arts and crafts couple to date. In his later years, his architectural services included interior design. Similar to FLW, Margaret and Charles would design every last detail of the house from the structure to the windows to the textiles to the wall coverings to the landscaping.

FYI if you go looking for any of the upcoming art, much of Margaret's work is listed as Charles Rennie Mackintosh. Poor Margaret was one of the MANY marginalized women of creative husbands. She has a vast collection of her own work, even before her association with Charles, and was celebrated by her contemporaries, including her husband. Unfortunately, at the time she was creating her work, women were not only seen as inferior but also incapable and therefore much of what she has accomplished has been credited to her husband. This link goes into more detail of her influence on Charles' design.


I truly enjoy the arts and craft movement as a whole although there are many things/people/philosophies that I can altogether do without, it is probably my favorite design movement. There is a wealth of information available on all three, CRM, MMM and A&C online and I have several books that I would be willing to LEND as long as a hefty deposit is first relinquished.


Today, as I sat at my desk pondering my 'future' and my unhappiness, I started looking at counted cross stitch for my friend's Eric and Olivia because they are having a baby!!!! I'm so excited!!!! Ok anyway, back to the story, I found several CCS patterns for FLW and CRM prints. And that lead me to spend some time in the comfort of friends via the internet! I was able to find a little bit of solace looking over their work.


I thought all of my zillions of readers (hey a girl can dream, can't she? ;) ) would enjoy a little piece of arts and craft heaven.


First, here are two of my favorite Margaret Macdonald wall pieces. I have one hanging over my bed and the other opposite hanging over the settee in my bedroom.



Here are a couple of other reproductions of her work, I tried to make them small so the post wouldn't be so incredibly long, click on them if you want to see a larger version:



This is the well known Mackintosh rose. I have a small pendant necklace of this and am always shocked when someone recognizes it. I know I'm not the only person who knows, but still it is exciting! :P Below that is a textile that CRM did of the rose with tears.


Here is a website with various prints, bronze plates and jewelry of FLW and CRM things: (HINT, HINT MOM!!!!! ;) )

I'm sure you all are just DYING to see and learn more!!!! ;) I KNEW IT! I have posted a few links below where you can learn a bit more about the Arts and Craft Movement as well as Charlie and Maggie (I'm SURE that's what their friends called them! ;) )

http://www.crmsociety.com/
http://www.greatbuildings.com/architects/Charles_Rennie_Mackintosh.html
http://www.scotcities.com/renniemack.htm
http://www.theglasgowstory.com/story.php?id=TGSDH09
http://www.arts-crafts.com/
http://www.burrows.com/found.html

3 comments:

Mnowac said...

Thanks for sharing, I love learning something new and I know nothing about the arts & crafts movement! Have a great thanksgiving and than you soooo much for stopping by to see Dizzy and Sara and feed them. If you have any problems I'll have my cell.

Monica

Craig said...

Interesting post on the arts and crafts movement. Tiffany lamps are good example too. Clara Driscoll from Tallmadge, Ohio designed many lamps for the Tiffany company back in the late 1800's. With advanced carbon fiber materials bike frames are now taking on a more artistic look and feel again.

Photography By Terri Harper said...

Tracie,
I love reading your posts! You are so cool, I'm glad your are my niece. Also very interesting arts and crafts movement pieces.
Love,
Auntie Terri