18 December 2007

Heart Rate

So here is the deal, there is always debate about how to become a better/stronger athlete and how to train more effectively and efficiently to reach your goals. One way to track your progress and to verify that you are working out at the right intensity to accomplish goals is target heart rate.

First, I’m going to discuss how to determine your target heart rate (THR) and then I will discuss how to apply it. Then I will talk about the differences in THR for each sport. Because of the length this is going to be posted in the three separate categories. If you already know how to calculate your THR zone you can skip to section two which discusses zones and hoe your body responds in different heart rate zones. If you already know all of that and want to see the differences for each sport, skip to section three.

I will be using myself for the examples but will be providing the formulas and links to help with and, while less accurate, shortcuts to determining a generic range based on age and resting heart rate.

*****DISCLAIMER: I am not a coach, a certified fitness professional or a medical nurse or doctor. All the information you are about to read has been generated from books and articles I have read, my own experiences, and my personal experience working with a trainer. Please consult a medical doctor before starting any new fitness program.*****

No comments: