02 December 2007

Reindeer Run and sniffles, sneezy and coughy

No, I'm not talking about the seven dwarves, just little old me. :(

Yesterday, I did the Reindeer Run in Lakewood. It was a really awesome day for a race. It was sunny and crisp, not too windy. I rode over with Monica and my brother Steve came along. My cousin Alison met us there and then we all met up with Sara, Debbie and Abby. Everyone did great. Monica and Abby broke their PRs and my cousin finished with Monica. Sara and Debbie did really well too!

I just started doing 5Ks this year. In September actually. I have never been a runner. I played tennis through high school and you run alot but not without some breaks. ;) So when I started working out with Alexis, we talked about running. I was like, "not really too interested." But then in July I started running. A little here and there. Then I joined the CTC and when I emailed Jen C about the club and joining I mentioned my lack of running ability. She was super encouraging and helpful and said to be patient. And surprisingly, for the first time in my life, I'm being patient. Sure I get frustrated with the fact that I still am running intervals and never do more than 5 miles at a time but I'm still RUNNING. :) And that is worth something.

Normally, I run on the much loved dreadmill. In 30 mins I get 2.5-3miles in. But when I did my first 5K I wasn't really running that much. My brother just found out he had mono like two weeks before the race AND there were so many people there it was hard to actually run. So we finished that one in a little under 50mins. Then I did the Pigskin Classic. Since I usually get 2.5-3miles in on the treadmill in 30mins, I figured that shooting for 45mins for the race would be doable. I didn't reach my goal but I did help someone else finish and that was enough. So I finished that one in like 48mins. So when I went on Saturday, I was still shooting for my 45mins. I finished somewhere around 43mins. So I was happy with that. I know that is hardly impressive, especially to all my CTC buddies who make fab times! ;) But all that really matters is that I went and I finished. :) I think it is decent for just starting to run a few months ago.

I was nice Steve and Monica were there at the end cheering me on. I did better with pacing myself this time around. I started out too strong at the Classic and suddenly realized I had ran for over 5mins straight and then needed to rest a bit longer. The intervals have been helping me build up my endurance so I try hard to stick with 1-1:30mins running and :45-1:00 walking. So I managed to stick pretty closely with that; I still ran too long at first, but only for 2:30mins this time. ;) It was pretty funny. Near then end, most everyone had finished and I was running back in and saw an intersection and got all excited. I thought "wow, I'm almost done." I thought that was the intersection at Lakewood Park. So I started running a bit harder and as I got to the intersection I realized that I was still a couple blocks away from the park. :) So I was like, "shit!" I just slowed up and walked for a couple of minutes, enjoyed the quite looked over at the lake and just relaxed.

I ran sans ipod. I must say, I really liked not having it. I was surprised that I didn't miss it. I almost felt like my hearing was heightened. (Maybe because of the cold medicine and stuffy head. Who knows. ;) ) But it was nice to hear the shoes hitting the pavement and when it got closer to the end and most people were finished, the quiet was so relaxing.

After the race, I came home and did some laundry then went over to Monica's. We swam for a bit and did an hour - hour and a half of yoga at the JCC. Then I went out to celebrate my friend Allison's bday!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALLISON!!!! :)

We went to Winking Lizard in Bedford. It was a great time!

Then I came home and crashed and slept and slept. Slept through my alarm until 10am actually. Yes, I missed swimming yet again! I feel like such a swimming loser. :( Not much I can do about this now. So to all my fellow RR swimmers, see you next time.

Steve slept over last night so we went to breakfast at Tommy's around 11:30am. We had a good time but I just felt so crummy I couldn't enjoy it too much. Then I laid around and did some things for work and rested. Which is super boring btw. My mom is here now, fixing my soup. Aren't moms great!?!

5 comments:

B Bop said...

"I ran sans ipod. I must say, I really liked not having it. I was surprised that I didn't miss it. I almost felt like my hearing was heightened."

Sounds like a little runners high :-)

Nice job to consistently bring your times down! I look forward to watching your progress.

Rest up and get over that cold.

tracie said...

Runner's high huh? :) Maybe!

Janet Edwards said...

Hey nice job bringing those times down! It takes time and work to bring the running times down and it sounds as though you are on your way!

I should have looked for ya out there!

triguyjt said...

tracie-- sans ipod. i will be dropping down a post soon about what its like to run in a still enviroment..like north chagrin with my hearing aid in. its amazing. talk about heightened experience!!
good luck from a new ctc member but an old time-long time triathlete.

tracie said...

thanks Daisy and JT! :) i'm working hard to get faster. slowly but surely right?

JT i can only imagine how amazing a run on the Chagrin trail would be just listening to the natural environment. can't wait to read your post!