26 January 2008

decisions, decisions

Hello everyone!!! First, I want to give a shout out to all my CTCers who did the Buckeye Winter Trail today. Way to go!!!!

So what is on my mind today!? GEAR! Cuz apparently you can never have enough! ;) Seriously though folks, I think that some of this techy stuff really does help you to track your progress and see how well your training is going and how you are improving. That said, I also think that most of it is hella expensive! Now if I had the money, I would not be having this discussion with you but instead would be out buying a Garmin 305 forerunner or the Polar RS800. Now I did find a couple of good deals on the 305 on eBay but considering I need to get, NEED, a new pair of kicks AND a pair of trail shoes, I really can't afford to spend $200-$500 on a running computer. Plus, while I'm sure the features that both of the above offer would be super helpful to everyone, I feel like I can wait for another year before I get so high tech. I have a basic Cat Eye on my bike (like $45 or something) and I already have a decent HRM that was like $120 on sale so I don't really want to spend more than $100 on something new.

I was looking yesterday and am frankly overwhelmed by all the choices available and I'm not sure what to buy. Sooooooooo I humbly rest my question at my wonderful blog readers.....like I frequently do. What do you guys use?? I know the 305 is great, Monica and Dave (from CTC) both have one and have tons of positive things to say about it. I just don't think it is in the cards right now. Isn't there something that can provide me with similar info????

Below, I have a list of the features I'm looking for and what I've looked at so far, if any of you own it let me hear about it! And PLEASE all recommendations are welcome!!!!! :) Thanks a million everyone! ;)

______________________________________________________________________________________


Things that I would like:

-time (duh!)
-time and distance based interval timer
-speed/pace distance
-cadence and avg stride length
-trip odometer
-measure splits

It would be a plus to include HRM abilities but not necessary.

Garmin Forerunner

PhotobucketPolar RS800SD

PhotobucketPolar RS200SD

PhotobucketTimex Sleek Ironman 150

PhotobucketWomen's Timex Ironman 50 Lap

PhotobucketWomen's Nike Imara Run Watch

PhotobucketWomen's Adidas Adistar GT

7 comments:

triguyjt said...

the womens ironman timex is very sleek and cool looking.

I lust for the techie stuff too, but I am still kinda old school. I have an old ironman watch.. an old polar heart rate monitor (strap)

That Garmin is realllllly tempting..

Mnowac said...

The Ironman watch is fine for tracking time, I have one and swim in it. But I say you skip the trail shoes and get a Garmin, I've seen them at Costco and on Amazon for $150. You really don't need trail shoes. I ran the whole trail HM today in regular running shoes. Trail shoes are nice to have if you run on trails a ton and those trails are realy uneven, but the ones around here are all pretty groomed.

I RSVPd for the CTC party. G is going to come along, but we can all ride together if you're in.

PS = in case you're curious, I'm the one that deleted the post above. I wanted to edit it but had to erase it.

Josh Middleton said...

I don't really have the expertise to help you make a decision. But I will say that I have stopped in some running stores about town and you're right - that stuff IS expensive!

Good luck on your decision making!

Josh

Jen said...

If it's fancy gear you're lusting after, I'd wait & see what comes out of this talk of recession prevention checks... Who knows? Our trusty federal govt may provide us the opportunity to support our local sports shops!

B Bop said...

I use a "simple" Timex watch and mapmyrun.com, so I can't really help you out on this one. Maybe you should just get whatever one matches the jacket you'll be running in this spring...

Tea said...

too....much....cool....gear....must...leave....site.....

Janet Edwards said...

I am on my second Nike Imara watch as I just love it. I started with the white which was super cute but it started to look dingy. SO I now have the flat black. Imara has been on my wrist for almost 2 years now.

I like it because it is sporty but not so sporty that I feel like I need to take it off when I dress nice.

There is just way too much stuff out there and never enough money!