07 January 2008

Mr. Right vs. Mr. Right Now

I've been in this predicament before. I made the right choice that time, thankfully. :) So I'm sure it will work out in the end but I feel like I have a million choices to make. In reality it is only like two or three, but they are big deals to me.

Ok so first choice is buying a new road bike. Very exciting yes, but I'm one of those people who has to do a ton of research before I make a big/important purchase. I research and read and ask for opinions to try and determine not only what is the best choice for me but also to make sure I'm getting the most for my money. I finally have an appointment today at the bike shop near my work to get fitted and look at a few bikes they have there. So now here is where the Mr. Right vs. Mr. Right Now comes into play. Do I buy a bike that I can afford and will work for the short term and then buy another one in a year or two (Mr. Right Now) or do I splurge and spend a bit more money than I want to/should and buy something that will last for many years to come (Mr. Right)???? It is quite a conundrum! I'm stumped right now and am not sure what will happen. Between the awesome advice I've received and my research I'm sure it will all turn out ok. :) I usually follow my intuition so maybe I just need to listen more to what that is saying! ;)

Ok so next thing has many facets. I have been feeling very unsatisfied in my current working environment (Mr. Right Now for sure!). I have a couple of smaller clients that I periodically do things for but my main client....well, I just don't feel like this is the right type of work. It isn't anything that gets me super jazzed and most days it is such a chore to deal with all that comes with it. So the client of my client has been sketchy with payments and some other things so they might lose the account which means they wouldn't need me anymore. So that means I have no major client or income. I have been looking but haven't seen too much out there. I have a couple of applications out so we shall see. Now to further complicate matters, I have been thinking about going back to school to get a PhD. I'm still looking at options in terms of the programs, costs, etc. So I have several decisions to to make.....soon.

I have no issues with going to a temp agency and getting another Mr. Right Now till I figure things out or find something that fits me better. I've have mad typing skills along with a host of other things you pick up while getting multiple degrees and while I know this isn't something to be proud of, all my friends call me when they need help with Microsoft products. Ha!

I know this is going to sound totally cliche but I really need to have some sort of purpose in my job. At one point in my life my career was everything to me. But now I have other priorities and every minute I spend at work I see as another minute away from doing things that I love and that are important to me. And I can only imagine that this will continue to be the case as my life changes and I have more responsibilities. If I had a career that I enjoyed and was passionate about, it would justify the time spent doing other things instead of what I want. Additionally, I want to be proud of what I do everyday. Not that I currently feel like I'm asked to behave unethically, but I have in previous jobs been expected to do that.

That is really what has been weighing on my mind lately. Just making some decisions, nothing major but still worthy of pause and reflection. I have yoga tonight so maybe that will help get things going in the decision making process. ;)

I hope that all of you are beginning a worry free week!!! Get outside and enjoy the warm weather before it disappears! :)

7 comments:

Mnowac said...

If I were you, I would go for the lesser bike. You don't need all the bells and whistles right now. Buy the cheaper bike and make sure you love all of this before you drop thousands. It is stressful to buy something too expensive for your budget. I got an $800 Jamis that was a few years old and it has made it through a few century rides and works just fine. I stressed majorly over spendnign 800 and have now spent probably 500 more on accessories that I couldn't have if I had gotten a more expensive bike. AS long as the frame is good, you can upgrade parts later. Just stick with a good reliable brand.

As for work. I feel you. But I also don't know anyone who likes their job, so I am trying to learn to focus on the good - nice boss who doesn't micromanage, flexible hours, etc. I hope one day to find a job I actually enjoy, but seeing as all I really enjoy is working out, I don't think that career is going to happen!!!

Charlie said...

I agree with Monica on the bike. Look for comfort and reliability. As you develop as an athlete you will know your individual needs more. If this means spending big bucks, do it then.
GO TO Bike Authority! As a CTC member you will be treated fairly and honestly. You also get a discount. Some local bike shops are not ethical.

I feel ya on the career issues. Good Luck.

triguyjt said...

DITTO...
go lesser for this purchase and then work towards and bigger catch at some point in the future....

career dilemma?? best of luck sorting it all out...

keep on training..

Josh Middleton said...

Hey! I am the exact same way when it comes to making decisions. I guess I'm so afraid that I'll make the wrong one that I fret and fret about it. It kind of takes the fun out of shopping!! We experienced that recently when we went looking for our couch and bed!

You should listen to your instincts, though. I think that they are always one or two steps ahead of the game. Maybe that's why you are feeling so blah with your job (what do you do by the way). Maybe that's your way of telling yourself that you're ready for something else - like school and a PhD!!!

Good luck with figuring things out! By the end of the week you'll feel like a totally new person with all sorts of new decisions and goals to work towards!!

Josh

B Bop said...

Think moon boots (or maybe birkenstocks).....not stillhettos.

Good luck on your career decisions. I'll forward you job postings as I get them.

Jen said...

Like others have already said, the most important thing is the frame & fit. The nice thing about finding Mr. Right in the bike world is that you can easily upgrade components later on.

I'm in the same boat thinking about getting a tri bike... I have to think about big decisions like this for a long time before I actually do anything about them.

tracie said...

Thanks for the GREAT advice everyone!!!!! I really appreciate all the thoughtful and wise words. :)