29 January 2008

unfinished business

So there have been a couple of questions left in comments from previous posts that I have TOTALLY meant to respond to but just kept forgetting so I'm going answer them here. :) I know that it is totally not that interesting but you can learn a little more about me if you'd like. :) But first, make sure you check out Steve in a Speedo's post today, it seriously made me laugh my ass off.

Josh asked: what do you do? From my Mr. Right vs Mr. Right Now post

Well Josh, funny you should ask that. I'm technically an urban planner. That's right people watch out, city planning in progress! Don't worry not the urban renewal kind. ;) Right now I'm 3 lousy credits away from my MUP (yes I'm a MUP, ;) ) and my degree will FINALLY be conferred this May. I currently am self-employed and have a couple of clients that keep me relatively busy. It is the cash-flow part that is the biggest pain, but that seems to be with anything. :) I'm cutting back my hours with my biggest client to make time for finishing school and I just accepted a tutoring position two days a week for elementary students, which is going to be the MOST fun ever! :)

Speaking of most fun, what are you studying at Temple Josh?

B Bop asked: Did you name him yet?? From bike update.

To be completely honest, I'm not sure that I 'know' my bike well enough yet for a name. That prob sounds totally weird, but I can't really think of anything that fits it just yet. I think once I get out on the pavement something will come to mind. How did you name yours? And how come my bike is a 'him'? Just curious. :)

B Bop asked: you're finishing up your thesis/project?? whatcha studying? From so exciting post.

Yes, as I just mentioned, I am FINALLY finishing. :) Laaaaaa! I still have yet to determine a project topic. When I went two weeks ago to good old Buffalo, things were slightly tense in the room. I got the impression that the prof didn't really want to be going over all the info and that the rest of the students didn't really want to listen. Normally, my program picks a town/city somewhere in the Western NY area or southern tier even. So I was kind of looking forward to studying a different area for a change. However, I guess the current second years bitched up a storm and this semester the city is................you guessed it good old, B-lo. Which to me was a bit disappointing just because I have already done a shit load of work for the city. I was an intern there and then a consultant so it is not new to me. I think that is why I haven't picked a topic yet. :( One of my very bestests, Stephanie is the ED at housing nonprofit on Buffalo's deep west side and she might need some help so I'm leaning toward a vacant lot analysis or a housing demolition study. I know so totally exciting. ;) Hey I HAVE to get that diploma!


Veggie Jen asked: Are yours at all interested in this new fixture? From my week in review post.

Morris is a VERY SPECIAL cat. He has practically no sense of balance, talks almost as much as I do, purrs nonstop (cuz I'm apparently a great cat mom!) and often sees things that aren't there. While he provides a ton of entertainment and comfort (he is being a headrest for me right now as I type ;) ) I do sometimes worry about him and his safety. He is very afraid of the treadmill. I think it is the beeping it makes and then the moving up as I increase incline. Who knows!

So I assumed that he would be afraid of the bike too. Especially since I have a wind trainer and those are...well, very windy when you get going fast! :) So the minute I set the bike up Morris was ALL OVER IT! Rubbing up against every part he can touch. The first time I rode on the trainer he kept trying to walk under my feet as I was pedaling. So I kept having to stop so Morris wouldn't suffer a concussion. Then he sat on the couch next to me (this is when the bike was behind the couch) and kept pawing at my arm and crying til I held him! Well let me tell you that was the last time I rode and held the cat, big PITA!!! So now that the bike in is the middle of the living room he is even more interested in it and runs all around it like it is some obstacle course. However, yesterday I seriously thought he was going to get killed because he kept going over by the trainer while I was riding (my cadence was over 100rpm). I'm not sure what to do with this crazy ass now!

Ok I think I have bored everyone enough now! From now on I PROMISE to answer questions as they come and save all of you the torture of reading another post like this!


P.S.
I like to add pics so here are a couple of me and Stephy from grad school!

Photobucket

This one was from my bday a few years ago. As usual, I said something naughty and Steph gave me that face!


Photobucket


And here is one of Morris who is always too curious for his own good!

Photobucket

3 comments:

Jen said...

And I thought I had high-maintenance cats! They're wary enough of the bike while I'm riding it, thank goodness! But Morris definitely fits my stereotype of male orange tabbies - they're the sweetest & cuddliest, but just a tad kookie! Oliver (also orange tabby) is OBSESSED with any kind lights or reflections. He's convinced he can "catch" them. It makes for fun times when the sun bounces off the reflectors :-) Okay, now I feel like I'm talking about my cat way too much and looking like a neurotic cat lady...

Anyway, your planning career sounds really exciting! I wish I had known there was such a career when I was in college. I get to work with a lot of planners now for Safe Routes to School work. Some are awesome, and some... meh, not so much :-)

triguyjt said...

tracie..theres a couple solutions.

#1 Get morris his own bike.

I am deadly serious

that, or
#2 spend a night in the kitty litter box to bond further with the feisty feline...

I choose #1. wanna see him change gears and drink out of the water bottle without falling over.

B Bop said...

Indeed, a name may come to you after a few adventurous rides once the weather breaks. I tend to think of bicycle similar to 1)horses and/or 2)girlfriends....so, I give mine girl names. I think it has to do with the fact that I have no time for a "real" girlfriend, because I ride my bike for hours and hours each week in the summer....that and the close relationship the bike has with my uh...nether regions. Your bike could be a boy or a girl...it's your choice (different strokes for different folks, I guess ;-)

When it is time to name him/her, you'll know it!