11 February 2008

history repeats in the Queen City...

You all by now I'm sure know of my love for hockey and the Buffalo Sabres (who I hardly ever get to watch :( ), last night it was a solemn win for the Sabres as Richard Zednik of the Florida Panthers was horribly injured.

I have included the video of the injury and reply, the version I have here doesn't show too much blood, but I am warning any of you who might not want to see the slow motion reply.

With the Sabres in possession, Jokinen(FL) checks MacArthur(BUF) and as Jokinen goes down his legs go up just as fellow teammate, Zednik, is skating behind him. Jokinen's skate makes contact with Zednik's neck. Shockingly, Zednik immediately stands after his initial contact with the ice and skates back to the Panther's bench three quarters away down the ice.



In the video I have here, Jim Lorentz an announcer for Buffalo can be heard saying, "I'm afraid I have, but I don't like to recall it." In response to fellow announcer, I believe it is Rick Jeanneret, saying, "I've never seen so much blood that quickly." Jim is referring to Clint Malarchuk of the Buffalo Sabres. In 1989 his jugular was sliced as it made contact with an opposing player's skate. Malarchuk was a goal tender and could not escape as Steve Tuttle of the St. Louis Blues approached the crease. I provided the link but I chose not to embed that video due to the graphic nature. A fight promptly ensued, as is expected when the opposing team's players rush the goalie, knocking him down and moving the net. So the video is zoomed in very close to all that is occurring on the ice.

Thankfully in both cases, the players were able to receive prompt medical care and Malarchuk received 300 stitches and returned to practice 4 days later.

As of now, Zednik had surgery on his carotid artery and is recovering. Hopefully, Zednik will recover quickly and be able to get back out there! Best wishes for a quick recovery!!!

1 comment:

triguyjt said...

that was a very scary situation...

very.

good luck training this week...easy does it...