26 February 2008

snow :)

The drive into the office today was wonderful. I mean the roads were actually much better than I anticipated but I love the way the world looks when it is blanketed in clean white fluffy snow! :) It is so beautiful!!! I know that most people complain about the snow (and there are DEF times that I get sick of it) but I really like the snow. I think I like winter more than summer. Don't get me wrong, I love being able to be outside doing things in the summer but I don't know, I really like winter. I think honestly, I like three of the seasons pretty equally and then summer is second to the rest.

I think I will always need to live somewhere that experiences seasonal changes. The weather and the way the world around me looks and feels has a huge impact on how I feel on emotional and spiritual levels. If I were to miss a season change, I think it would have quite an impact on me. Days like today make me pause and just listen to the birds and the snow as it lightly touches down.

Monica has a link on her blog for the Daily Coyote. It is such an amazing blog, many thanks to Monica for sharing it!!!!!

I LOVE checking out the site everyday, looking at the amazing pictures of Wyoming and feeling a bit of jealousy. I really love living in the city and being in walking/biking distance to tons of things and being around people all the time, but there is a part of me that would love to move out in the middle of nowhere. Like to Oregon or Washington State. Have an amazing garden so I could grow my own veggies and have chickens and horses. It would be so amazing and completely satisfying. I could do this around here though too. I mean there are lots of beautiful places in Ohio that would be perfect for this sort of dream. Just not Cleveland Heights. ;)

While the Daily Coyote is truly amazing and I get totally sucked into the pictures and transported to Wyoming, I often feel a little guilt. As all of you know I have a cat, Morris. The circumstances in which I found him and now have him were not ideal and being allergic to cats definitely can make the relationship strained at times. But I feel responsible for him and making sure that he is loved and taken care of. Morris is a housecat now though. He was a stray and although he was close to death when I found him, I sometimes wonder if he misses roaming around and exploring. Shreve's cat Eli wanders around the hills of Wyoming exploring to his heart's content. And it makes me feel guilty that Morris is couped up, only able to chase the birds and squirrels from the window sill.

No offense to anyone reading, but I think it is extremely irresponsible to let your cat prowl the busy and bustling city and its surrounding neighborhoods. There are many reasons for this; cars, trucks, dogs and some not so friendly people top it off. While I do get Morris vaccinated (much to my disdain) I do not give him any type of flea/heartworm meds because I'm not so sure they are completely safe. I do have specific foods that he eats to help keep parasites away like garlic and pumpkin. So if I had a little 'farm' he could run around outside a little and I wouldn't worry about his safety. ;) I do my best to keep him entertained and we play in the morning and night so he has time to run and romp. He is a crazy runner, dashing at full speed from one end of the house to other crashing into whatever is in his path. But when I see pics of Eli, free to go wherever he wants, I feel a bit of guilt for keeping Morris in the house.

One day maybe, I will have my own little piece of paradise with a garden and a place for Morris to run around.......and then I can get a dog too! ;)

3 comments:

B Bop said...

I think Morris gets a good trade off. He is safe, well fed, sheltered....

I'm about to grab my camera and take my puppy out for a walk. The snow is grand!!

Mnowac said...

I totally agree that people should not have their cats outdoors, it drives me crazy!

Jen said...

Oh, what a cute Morris pic! I keep my cats indoors, and I do occasionally feel a little guilty about it... but I know I'd feel guiltier if something bad happened to them outdoors (and it likely would). And they're very happy with their cushy little lives, and super active playing with each other & the abundance of toys littering the floors...

I used to fantasize about going off the grid, too, but then a couple summers ago I tried to have a really big garden (about four times the size of my usual one) and found I was in WAY over my head. It's hard work. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm really liking the little bit o'city in Iowa City.