29 February 2008

training confusion

As my last post discussed, things are at sort of a standstill training-wise. I had my second PT appointment this week and was told nothing for another week, except maybe walking. ;) So as I looked over my proposed race schedule for this year and thought about the conversation Monica and I had yesterday about picking one race and being devoted to it, I devised a plan of sorts for training that has some flexibility in case I have to take more time off. But I'm a little confused, so here is where the wisdom of all of you comes into play! ;) First, let me give you my amended race schedule.

MARCH-probably nothing
APRIL-hopefully the Hinckley Duathlon
MAY-hopefully the Silver Springs Duathlon and Blossom Time Run
JUNE-SummiTri
JULY-Lighthouse Tri
AUGUST-either Cleveland Tri or the GCT (oly distance for both to prepare for Great Lakes Escape), Run Jane Run 10K
SEPTEMBER-Great Lakes Escape OLY
OCTOBER-Towpath Marathon


Now please keep in mind there are a bunch of 5ks spread throughout and in November and December. Plus I was planing on the Fall Classic Half, but figure if I'm ready for a marathon in the fall then the half won't be an issue to prepare for. And I was also hoping for a couple big rides, at least one century in the fall.

So here is where things get confusing for me. First, I won't be able to really workout at the level I was at until April, cuz I have to ease back in so I don't reinjure myself. But I have a small plan of attack for March in hopes that I will be ready for the Duathlons. If not, those will get scratched from the schedule. :(

I found an olympic distance training plan and that needs to begin on May 12th and then my novice marathon plan starts on May 26th. Soooooo I figured that I could swap out the running distances in the OLY plan with the mary plan and I would be good to go. Any thoughts!?!?! Here comes some of the confusion. All the marathon plans I have found work in distance and the tri plans work in time. So should I just ignore the running part all together, deducting the time that should be spent running according to the tri plan and make sure I get the time in for the swim and bike portions and just follow the distances for the mary plan?? Man, I'm getting confused again, I hope this makes sense!!! :P

I really want to be prepared for my September and October events!!! But I also will probably completely lose my mind if I get injured again and I don't want to go overboard. So I've begun a conservative build plan starting next week, even if it is only stupid walking! ;) In an attempt to be conservative with my training to 'ease' in, I took the first week of my oly plan and reduced it by 10% for 10weeks (which brings us to this coming Monday) to create targets for total time spent per week training. (Yes, I was completely bored at work today and had very little else to do. I know I'm totally a dork......you should see the calendars I've made just for my training and race schedule.) Thankfully, my swim clinic only runs til May when I begin my oly training plan. And after the next two weeks, it won't eat into my time targets. Plus I think I'm going to ignore the swim for this month and not figure it in to my targets. ANYHOW!!!!! Wish me luck!



As has happened in the past, I've been reminded that I'm not doing the things (eating right, getting enough rest, taking time to relax, spending enough time with friends, etc.) I need to do to make me healthy or happy. And as before, something happens to me physically that makes me slow down and recognize the error of my ways. So I'm trying very hard to be patient and mindful so I don't repeat this experience as a result on not learning my lesson in the first place. As always any advice that you guys can provide in terms of my proposed training plans would be MUCH appreciated!

Ooooohhhh is everyone loving the snow? I would be slightly happier if everyone wasn't exercising his/her right to be an asshole today while driving, but hey you can't win them all! ;)

3 comments:

Jen said...

I think an oly is a great goal to shoot for! The one thing I would wonder about is training for a marathon this season... maybe a half-mary would be a safer goal for the fall? But then again, I'm a total wuss, so take my 2 cents with a grain of salt ;-)

E-Speed said...

how many weeks between the last olympic and the marathon?

Most marathon plans are 12+ weeks but if you have a decent base from the oly race you could probably get away with a 10 week plan, if your goal is just to finish.

Just make sure you do some longer runs during your olympic training so you can "hit the ground running" when you start the marathon plan. You want to be able to build up to at least one 20 miler without increasing weekly mileage or weekly long runs by more than 10%

if you are a strong cyclist or swimmer you can let the training on one of those slide a bit and use a lower mileage marathon plan.

Basically while training for the olympic your goal would be to run, bike, swim 2* each week possibly adding a third day in your weak sport.

For the marathon you will want a minimum of 3 runs a week, focusing on that long run. But really 4-5 days a week would be better.

A good way to mix the plans is to use more bricks in your oly training. So any of your easy run days tack on a bike ride first, two birds, one stone!

Two seasons I have done a fall oly and a fall marathon. I ran a PR at Columbus marathon after getting a PR at the Chicago Oly in August. I think the early fall Oly training lends well to fall marathon training if the timing is right.

Mnowac said...

If you have your heart set on a fall marathon, Im sure you can do both. BUT if I were you, I would focus on the Oly tri and then a fall half marathon, then get your running base up over the winter and either head somewhere for a Jan marathon or do a spring one here.